Being a Native English Speaker

One thing I didn't realize would make such an impression on my experience, is already knowing English as a first language and being from the United States specifically. I feel that it sometimes changes how people approach me, how people view me, what they associate me with, and the Italian learning process.

Even from the beginning, English was the set language for everything. My whole first orientation camp was in English because it's such a universal language. Everyone speaks English. Throughout my experience I have noticed that it has made my time here different from others. Many people of all ages have interests in improving their English, and when they meet me, many people see it as a good opportunity to practice. This was okay at the beginning, but now it has started to hinder my learning because so many people I meet do this. I completely understand them and I don't blame them at all, but it has made learning Italian harder for me. On the other side, there are a few people who will not speak to me in English at all, and although it is a struggle, it is better for me at this point. 

Now, I can understand a lot of things that are being said, but my problem is being able to form sentences to express what I what to say. I feel like a 17 year old trapped in 4 year old's body. I'm not as outgoing now, because of this. I can't talk very well in Italian but I feel guilty using English so a lot of times, it leads to me not saying anything at all. I hope that with more time, this feeling and problem will pass and I will be able to move on and improve more. Also, I have a lot of expectations when it comes to English. People ask me questions, but sometimes don't have the answer. I speak English but I don't have to know why certain things work; I just know what sounds best. A few of my teachers have wanted me to prepare something in English for their English class. It's not too much of a problem, but at the end of the day, I came here to learn Italian, not teach English.

Being an American here at this political time, has influenced it a lot. Many times when I meet someone and I tell them I'm from the United States, the first thing they ask me about is Trump. It's happened so often that it is actually kind of annoying when someone does that. I'm so proud to come from the United States but some people point out bad things or policies that are happening at the moment when I express this. Every country has its weaknesses and strengths and many of the bad things about America are being magnified by the media right now. I'm still reflecting on how to make people understand the good things we have, and not only the bad. 

Learning Italian from English is a very difficult thing. Many Italians tell me about how difficult Italian is and how English is easier for them to learn. With this, I am still trying hard and learning it the best I can. I am hoping that with more time, I will be able to complete my goals. 

If anyone has any questions just leave them in the comments or message me personally. I hope you guys are having a good winter break :)
Imogen Wyatt













Comments

Popular Posts