Exchange Week

This past week was my exchange week in which I went to Reggio Emilia to live and get to know another Italian city. It was packed full of some of the best times I've had so far. Here are all the details...

Day 1
Right from the moments I arrived, I could just feel how great the week would turn out. I just had a feeling. I arrived with on of my good friends in the airport (her exchange week was in a city pretty close) and then we split to leave for our actual cities. On the way, I already felt super comfortable with my host dad and we even called the host mom and sister who we waiting at home with a surprise. At their home, they planned a little party for me with some of their friends and it was really fun. It made me feel really welcomed and gave me a chance to get to know my host family a bit.

My friend and I at the airport 
Day 2
So I suddenly found out that I need to cook something American for an international dinner, so we went to a huge supermarket to find all the ingredients (and goofing off with my host sister) I ended up cooking French Toast which definitely doesn't sound American, but we eat it pretty often at my house in America. After, we spent time at home watching movies and spending the day together. We were original going to do a day trip, but the weather wasn't good. At the International dinner, I met the other three kids that were doing their exchange week like me, the kids that are in this area originally, and all of the families and volunteers. I got a lot of complements on the French Toast (Ayooo!) and had a good time.
Check out those cute mini American flags

Day 3

In the morning we (me+other exchange students) met with a volunteer that would be driving us to a town called Castelnovo nei Monti which was in their small mountains. It was really beautiful. There was light snow coming down as we visited a part of the mountain.After we did two different AFS presentations and some games where the students their had to guess where we are from. It was kind of fun to hear their responses. After, we went and ate lunch with the volunteers and then to a super cute little coffee shop to eat desserts (which were very good) After we returned to Reggio Emilia, my host mom picked me up and we went for a walk in the park with the dog. This is when I really noticed how green the town was even in winter. I absolutely loved it.
I'm the second from the right 

Day 4

We met again in the morning and I met two different volunteers. One was actually American-Chinese but lives here with her Italian husband and the other was this really sweet Italian woman. With them and the other kids, we went up to a cheese factory to observe how they made cheese. (Thankfully I was sick so I couldn't smell anything) After doing the whole tour, the owner let us try some cheese but he kept giving us more and more cheese. After that visit I never wanted to eat cheese again hahaa! We all ate at the Italian volunteers house. Her house was so nice and she was so sweet serving us tea and making sure we were comfortable. The last thing we did was drive up to these two ancient castles and we did a tour of both. It was actually pretty interesting but really cold out. I was so tired by the time we returned to town. We picked up my host sister from dance and went to a little corner store to pick up some groceries. While going through the market with my host sister Giulia, I really realized how much I enjoyed spending time with her. Although she is a few years younger, we just clicked.

My host sister and I 

Day 5
We met again with the American volunteer and her husband. We went to a sort of court yard that used to have a huge palace type of thing which was destroyed a lot time ago. Now it is a point on this very long trail that leads all the way through the city and through to neighboring cities. It was very green and pretty. I just wish we could have been there in summer without the cold. We then went to do a visit in a school again, but instead this was a very beautiful art school. We did the same activities as before and then did a tour of the entire school which I absolutely loved. I couldn't get over how great this school was. They had ceramics, sculpting, painting, fashion design, architecture, and even other departments. The students show us some of the work they were working on and it was really just such a beautiful school. I was so jealous of one of the other exchange students that goes to the school. They even had some lockers that were painted and personalized by the students (Yes like Victorious) After the school, we ate lunch at a cafe and then we had time to go to the center. It was really big (compared to my city) and had a lot of shops for shopping (dream come true right?) In the evening, I ate dinner and spent time with my host family. I really loved my host family. They made me feel very comfortable and I felt like I could be myself around them.

Day 7
One of the volunteers for this day was a woman who had done an exchange in Texas about 10 years ago and she was the daughter of the Italian volunteer from day 4. I really liked her. She was really cool and supportive of us. We did another presentation at a different school. The thing about this class was that they all knew us because they got news that the boy from Holland (the only guy in our little group) would be there. They found us all on social media even before we came so the game didn't go that well. I didn't really like the class too much anyway. Later on that day, we were taught how to cook a typical snack from the area called "Erbazione" (if I spelled that right) It's so common to eat here. People literally eat it everyday, but everybody keeps their recipes super secret, so a lot of people just buy it instead of making it. The chef who taught us was super cool and funny. She told me about how she worked in America as a cook some years back. After this, the volunteer took us to a shopping mall really close to the place we cooked and I helped one of my friends pick out a really cute outfit. This was when I realized how close I got with the other students throughout the week. It really sucks that I won't see them other than one more time before I leave. When my host mom came to pick me up, we walked around the mall together before leaving. I really liked taking walks with my host mom here. We usually did one every morning while I was there. After picking up Guilia from dance, we went out to eat together and although I enjoyed it, at the same time it made me sad because I really didn't want leave, and I knew I only had one more day left.
Us + a volunteer at a museum
I'm the second from the left

Day 8 (Last full day)

In the morning we visited two museums and at lunch we went to a small neighboring town to a cafe that let us use their kitchen. We ate a lot of food and baked some desserts for the Goodbye dinner that would be happening that night. I also got to learn how to play a new card game with one of the volunteers and another student (who were both really really good) and spend the rest of the time with the other students. (It was actually pretty sad) At the dinner that night, we had a few guest speakers from the area and the coordinator for AFS of that area presented thank you gifts for the volunteers and us. We got super cute AFS T-shirts just for that area and I loved them. We all had our last meal all together and it was certainly a night to remember.
It's a little blurry but here we are again 

Leaving

We went to drop off my host sister to school before we could go to Bologna for my bus. It was kind of heart breaking because of how close we got. I really wish we could have had more time. When we got to the city, we have about an hour before my bus left so we did a mini tour of the center with my host parents and the dog. It was really relaxed and nice. Then I finally set off on my sweet 9 hour bus ride back to Matera. To be honest, it wasn't that bad because I enjoy just relaxing, thinking, listening to music, and reading. In the middle of the ride, I got a text from my host sister to check my notebook and I found a small goodbye letter that she made me. It reminded me of my real sister back in America so I really liked it.
My host family and I 

Overall this week would have to be my favorite so far. I made yet another family, friends, met people I can trust, and found another place I can call home. I know I will go back someday soon and I can't wait. I got a lot of inspiration from the trip to keep my exchange going on strong. I only have 100 days left til I leave, and I'm planning to spend them well.

If you have any questions of just want to message me, feel free to.
Imogen :)




























Comments

Popular Posts